Please move to GitHub

May 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Edited May 16, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Dear John,

Your library is great and probably have helped a lot of SharePoint developpers to write better code.

However, CodePlex is not designed to encourage contributions. That means only the project creator can update the project (actually, contributors can submit patches, but it's painful).

Github, or more accurately the git protocol (not the only one actually), is designed in a way that facilitate contributing, forking, etc. and results often in great libraries as there's no barrier to change something in a library.

I, like many people, have a lot of ideas to extend the library. But what are our options?
Create patches? No... too obscure for windows developers?
Create a local clone of the code and tweak it according our needs? Maybe. But all the great things we could make will only benefits to us. Not the community.

On the hand, if the project was on Github, a single click would fork the project, where I would be able to adapt, tweak, extend, ... and probably submit great pull request.

I don't know what is your state of mind regarding open source, contribution. but it would be great to put your golden nugget into the community's benefits.

Hoping you'll receive my arguments :)